Planned Giving at South Highland Presbyterian Church
The Barnabas Society are members who make gifts or intend to make gifts to the South Highland Foundation Fund. The mission of the Foundation is to further the spiritual charitable purposes of our church. At the same time, the Foundation can help perpetuate South Highland Presbyterian Church's influence in our personal lives, the lives of our children and other loved ones, the community where we live, and national and international projects.
The following are examples of what the Foundation can do to enlarge the mission of South Highland Presbyterian Church:
* Financing necessary to initially fund important new church projects - these can be projects endorsed by Session that are not provided for within the normal operating budget
* Support for unforseen or one time opportunities which our church considers worthwhile - in this case, the Foundation can provide seed money for such opportunities, which may grow into endeavors funded by the annual operating budget
* Caring for our beautiful facilities
* Additional funds to supplement South Highland Presbyterian's mission outreach financed through the annual Witness Season offering
South Highland Presbyterian Church is an active and growing church. With limited resources, the church accomplishes its objectives of providing for its membership and influencing the world around us in a positive way. The Foundation's purpose is to provide additional resources to complement and expand these efforts.
Annual Giving, not the Foundation, should sustain the operations of the church.
How to Make a Planned Gift
* Appreciated Securities (or other assets): The gift of appreciated securities is most often in the form of common stock or mutual funds. Such a gift is a valuable way to benefit South Highland Presbyterian Church and for you to receive tax benefits based on the fair market value of the assets. Other appreciated assets, like real estate, may be gifted, but it is important to discuss these in advance with the church.
* Real Estate: Real estate may be deeded outright to South Highland Presbyterian Church or left by bequest. The irrevocable gift of property may provide an immediate tax deduction and avoid capital gains. Due to complexities, be prepared to work with the church and qualified advisors to ensure that this is a suitable gift for both you and for South Highland Presbyterian Church.
* Life Insurance: Make a gift of a policy or buy a policy making South Highland Presbyterian Church the owner and beneficiary.
Gifts that Pay Income
* Charitable Gift Annuity: The gift of annuity is an irrevocable gift of cash or securities where you receive a predictable fixed income for life. At termination, the church receives the residual value of the annuity.
* Charitable Remainder Trust: The remainder trust is an irrevocable gift of assets into a charitable trust that provides you a fixed (Annuity Trust) or variable (Unitrust) income for life or for a set term. At the trust's termination, the trust assets become a generous gift to South Highland Presbyterian Church. There are also potential tax benefits dependent upon your situation.
* Charitable Lead Trust: The lead trust's income payments are distributed to the church for a set period of years, after which the assets are transferred back to the grantor or whomever the grantor has named the beneficiary. This provides generous annual support for the church now, removes the asset from the estate and passes an asset to heirs with little or no tax. There is no immediate deduction for the lead trust.
* Bequest: The bequest is a gift through your will revocable trust that enables you to retain the asset during your life and provide significant support when you no longer require the asset. You may choose a specific item, a percentage, or a residual bequest. You may also choose to make South Highland Presbyterian Church a contingent beneficiary in case the heirs are unable to receive the estate.
* Retirement Plan Assets: In some cases, retirement assets can be the heaviest taxed assets in an estate. Naming South Highland Presbyterian Church as beneficiary can avoid that taxation, enabling the asset to pass tax free to the church. You may also make South Highland Presbyterian Church a percentage beneficiary or a contingent beneficiary of a retirement plan.
* Bank or Investment Account: Financial accounts can be a simple and inexpensive way to leave a legacy gift for the church. Contact your financial advisor to see how easy the process is to make South Highland Presbyterian Church the beneficiary of a particular investment or bank account.
All of us are indebted to the past, to those who precede us. We drink from wells we have not dug. We enjoy liberties we have not won. We share faith whose foundations we have not laid. At the same time, we are seeds of the future, for those who succeed us. We dream and envision and set things in motion. The fruition of our decisions will be known only to others whom we will not meet. We are called to partner in faith with those who have gone before us and to offer the best that we have to give those who will follow.
For more on giving to South Highland Presbyterian Church, contact Leah Gardner at (205) 933-0790 or firstname.lastname@example.org.