A limited number of academic scholarships are available to church members pursuing undergraduate, graduate, or seminary studies.
Instructions For Completing Scholarship Application Form
1. Please pick up an application in the church office or download (below) and complete the form using black or dark blue ink. Print or write legibly.
2. Note the instructions given within the application form. They are important and following them will prevent delays in processing your application.
3. February 15, 2021, is the deadline for submitting the application form to the Scholarship Committee.
4. Please turn your completed application into the church office in person or by mailing to:
SHPC Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 55933
Birmingham, AL 35255
5. If you have questions, please e-mail Larry Harper
Download applications here:
For those who may be thinking of applying for a scholarship from the F.A. Mathes Scholarship Fund, the Helen Mohns Dunaway Seminary Scholarship Fund or the Virginia Handley Jones Scholarship Fund the time to prepare applications has arrived.The deadline for submitting complete applications is February 15, 2021.
The F.A. Mathes Scholarship is a one-year renewable grant, awarded to an active member of SHPC or another PCUSA church who is working toward an associate or baccalaureate degree.
The Helen Mohns Dunaway Seminary Scholarship is a one-year renewable grant, awarded to an active member of SHPC or another PCUSA church who is studying for the ordained ministry of the Word and Sacrament, or for ministry as a Christian Educator, in the PCUSA.
The Virginia H. Jones Scholarship is a grant to cover tuition and expenses for a program of post-secondary of study/training awarded to members and friends of SHPC.
The Scholarship Committee reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Administration Unit in March. The recommendations are passed to the Session where grants are approved at their April meeting.Applicants are notified of their scholarship status in May.Scholarship disbursements are made directly to the educational institutions in two installments, late July and early December.
For the 2020-2021 academic year, 26 scholarships were awarded totaling $38,375 in grants from the three scholarship funds.It is a blessing to be able to offer support to our college and seminary bound students through contributions of gifts to both funds.All South Highland members are encouraged to participate.