THE SESSION HAS CALLED A CONGREGATIONAL MEETING FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2023, IN THE DAVIS FAMILY HALL AT 9:30 AM FOR THE PURPOSE OF:
(1) to elect six members of the congregation to serve on the 2023 Officer Nominating Committee. The Congregation elects 6 members of the congregation-at-large to the 2023 Nominating Committee to serve as follows:
- 2 men with no age restriction:
- 2 women with no age restriction:
- 1 young adult, age 21-40:
- 1 youth, age 20 or under:
- Nomination and Voting. Nominations are to be made from the floor. You must have contacted the person to be nominated and obtain their consent to be nominated (you may nominate yourself) or the person must be present and agree to serve, if elected. Persons currently serving as elders or deacons are ineligible for service as congregational members of the Nominating Committee, as those bodies elect representation directly; persons serving on the 2022 Nominating Committee from the congregation are ineligible for reelection.)
(2) to receive reports concerning the congregation in 2022 and information regarding the 2023 budget;
(3) to receive and act upon any other business appropriate to the annual meeting under the Book of Order;
(4) to fulfill the requirements for an annual meeting of the South Highland Presbyterian Church Foundation, and to hear, report, and act upon any recommendations of the Board of Directors;
(5) to vote for the congregation to consent or not to consent to the request of Pastor Edwin Hurley to retire on or before December 31, 2023 and for the Presbytery to dissolve the pastoral relationship on that date ( this will be a voice vote unless any member moves to have a written ballot vote [vote by ballot], the motion is seconded, and a majority of members present vote to vote by ballot);
(6) to elect a Senior Pastor Nominating Committee. (The committee will consist of members of the church
- age 61-up – 2, a man and a woman,
- age 46-60 – 3, at least one man and one woman.
- age 45 and under – 3, at least one man and one woman.
Voting and Nominations. Voting for the matters requiring a vote will be done during the meeting by a voice vote or by written ballot, if more persons are nominated than there are places. A plurality vote is sufficient to elect a nominee; there will be no runoff unless a there is tie vote.
Nominations may be made by email to the Clerk of Session. The Clerk will accept nominations through Friday, February 3 at 5:00 p.m. Persons may nominate themselves and if nominating someone else, the consent of the person nominated must be obtained before nominating them.
Nominations may be made from the floor during the meeting. The person nominated must be present and accept the nomination, if their consent has not previously been obtained.